POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Great Moments in Raytracing Blasphemy, I : Re: Great Moments in Raytracing Blasphemy, I Server Time
9 Aug 2024 17:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Great Moments in Raytracing Blasphemy, I
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 12 Jan 2005 05:54:45
Message: <41e501f5$1@news.povray.org>

news:41e02167$1@news.povray.org...

> But on a serious note, I noticed that you made sure you "attributed" the
> objects/scene to Gilles under the CC license by placing the notice of
> attribution on the picture itself.  This is where I get fuzzy.  How/Where
> must the attribution be made?  I doubt that Gilles is going to sue any of
> us, but overall it's something I've wondered about.  My best guess would
be
> that the attribution simply has to be "somewhere".  It could be text
> accompanying the image.
>
> Or...  perhaps it brings up the whole 3D objects "use" issue again.  If
> you're going to distribute it, then you must make an attribution.  If it's
> simply used in an image, then you don't?  Or do you?  That's where I get
> confused.

As someone who's been using a lot of 3rd party tools and models, my take is
always that common sense and good manners should prevail, independently of
legal aspects. It's all about paying tribute when tribute's due and not
lying/misleading people about one's own work. The best way to do this really
cannot be set in stone : while good manners say that 3rd party input should
always be acknowledged in a clear fashion, common sense also dictates that
this is not always possible. If I had put attribution notices directly on
all my images the credits would have covered 80% of the picture area... To
give an even more obvious example, music files containing samples don't
contain the voice of a person listing the samples' authors.
Frankly, I don't think it's that big a problem and the few incidents I've
seen in the past were clearly from people who had decided to cheat no matter
what (see the AWSOME ROLEX incident
http://www.wikipov.org/ow.asp?AwsomeRolex).

G.

--